Monday, August 29, 2011

Piecing your Blocks {Across the Sea QAL}



So, I hope you have all been busy cutting your fabric for our quiltalong? Are you all ready to get started piecing? Jennifer has the instructions over at Ellison Lane Quilts today so pop over there to find out how to get started!


I've been busy piecing my blocks ready to show you my layout tips on Thursday. I love to chain piece for projects like this and find it a really quick and effective way to complete my blocks quickly. I started with the arms of each cross, piecing the cross and background fabric for each block, winding up with a little pile of pieced rectangles like this:


I then spent a little time at the ironing board to end up with these:


From there on its super simple to chain piece the rows and complete the blocks!


If you haven't chain pieced before, there are some tutorials listed in the Flickr group to get you started, you'll find them here.


I can't wait to see your blocks appear in the Flickr group. Happy piecing everyone!Link

5 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I love this block!

sewhappiness said...

Lovely block Sarah:) ohh!! I love this fabric line!!! I want in!!!It's gonna be a lovely quilt!! Can pls someone send me some free fabric?? heheeh
Have a great week!!! :D
xoxo
eleni

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh and I thought I was being sneaky chain-piecing all my 'arms' last night!! Should have known I was not along xx

Katy Cameron said...

Perfect timing, I just got to this bit :o) I'm now away to read up on chain piecing as it sounds like it could make my life easier...

Beth said...

Love your blocks and fabrics, and to chain piece as well. I make so many fewer mistakes when I do it, and can usually think of other things as it is so repetitive.