Thursday, November 24, 2011

November Bee Blocks

November was all about wonky star blocks in Sew Bee Blissful. I was so thrilled, I love making wonky stars!

Ella was our queen bee for the month and sent out packs of gorgeous fabric, using a deep wine coloured solid as the background which was perfect. She also posted a fab inspiration mosaic and asked us to "play" with the blocks, leaving our interpretations up to us.

So I took the fabrics out earlier this week and had a good think about what I wanted to do. I decided to do the first one pretty straightforward. I made a little four patch block for the centre square, just to add a bit more interest. And I went as wonky as I could with my points and am really happy with how it turned out.

November block 1 

The second block, I decided to swap out some of the background fabric for a print with similar tones (with Ella's blessing). Because I was doing this I decided to stick to the solid orange and yellow for the wonky star points. The centre square is a little square with borders. Its a little in your face, and I had mixed feelings about it when I was making it, but I quite love it now and I think it will work really nicely in the quilt. I just hope Ella does too.

November block 2


Lastly she asked us to make a small improv block - here it is:

November improvised block


Overall, I really loved this month's blocks! We're on a break for December and I need to get thinking about what I am doing as my month (February) will be coming up fast!

7 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Great blocks - make sure you 'use' your free labour wisely!

Canadian Abroad said...

Great blocks, and obviously I adore the in your face quality of the second one. I think they are all beautiful though. Love the fabric choices.

Judith, Belfast said...

Great blocks - love a bit of wonky! It my month in Jan in Brit Bee & I need to get my skates on too! Jxo

Cindy said...

Your blocks rock! I loved making these too.
Eeekkk!!! Feb is coming up quickly! What will you ask for? Come one and spill the beans :)

Annabella said...

I spy some Parisville! Love that line...and love your stars - mine are never as beautifully wonky as yours.

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, fab wonky type blocks

my4lilgirls said...

Hi Sarah just found your blog, imagine my delight to find another Irish crafter & blogger. Love your work, have been thrilled to pieces browsing your blogspace, & both these blocks are great!!!!
Have a sweet weekend
Karen