Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pouch progress


Not much sewing this week in my house. Bad back and excruciating physio session mid week put paid to sitting in front of my machine, or cutting fabric. The only sewing done till yesterday was some cross stitch. But yesterday, I felt a lot better and decided to make a start on my pouch for the Pretty [little] pouch swap.

Since this would be a small item, it didn't require lots of cutting, standing pressing fabric, or manipulating large swathes of a quilt top through the machine. Minimal opportunity to aggravate the back. Perfect.



After getting my partner assignment, I decided that she would like a zippy pouch rather than a frame purse, and there was lots of scope in her "likes". I decided to go with brights for the front of the pouch, and to try to include something else from the list on the back. I played around with a few different ideas for the front until I came up with this little diagonal rainbow of colour. (excuse some of the photo quality - taken at night on my phone) Each little square of colour is 1.5" square - I love tiny piecing! I used Kona Charcoal which is just so gorgeous and dark  and the colours really popped against it.
 I then took myself off to the sofa and dug out my perle cotton. I spent a very pleasant few hours stitching this up in front of the tv, although I did have to change my purple thread, because the original I picked was too dark against the Charcoal. 
So the front is now completed. I hope my partner likes it but if not, I won't have any trouble giving this pouch a home myself :-) Now, on to thinking about the back....


P.S. Seeing as I hit my 2 year "blogiversary" this week, I might just be celebrating in the next few days. Keep your eyes peeled for a giveaway :-)

22 comments:

Rhonda the Rambler said...

So pretty...I am glad you are feeling better!

Pippa Parsons said...

oh that's gorgeous, love the colours

Melissa said...

Beautiful! Handstitching always adds a little extra something special!

Lynette said...

This is really turning out nicely, Sarah - Hey, do you know: is that perle cotton #5, or #8?

CapitolaQuilter said...

The pouch front is really pretty with the stitching color placement. I want to pick up some Perle myself and would also love to know the # you use. Feel Better soon.

needle and nest said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary! And great job on the front of your pouch. I can't wait to see it all put together. I hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Katy said...

It looks lovely! I really like the hand stitching :)

Leanne said...

It is the season for bad backs, be careful of it. I love the little rainbows you have made there, the stitching is just perfect.

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, love the quilting

everinprogress said...

your quilting is so pretty, and adds so much to the design

Bree said...

I love it! I'm so glad you decided to join the swap. :)

Quilterbell said...

Very pretty!, your swap partner is very lucky!. Can I ask you where do you buy your perle cotton? I can only find skeins and I never know how many of them I really need to buy, I think balls will be much better for my projects. I haven't seen them in Hickeys. It is nice to heard that your back pain is better. Take care!.

freakadoodles said...

I LOVE the stitching. It's brilliant.

Cherie said...

Such a fun pattern! I love the stitching around the squares =D

Strawberry Patch said...

love the colour progression in the hand quilting.

Susan said...

Love the colour and fabric choice! The hand stitching is perfect!

Judith, Belfast said...

This is really lovely S! Hope your back heals quickly. Jxo

Helen said...

Congratulations on your Blogiversary! Two great years - well done!

I adore your lovely pouch - so bright and colourful and the hand stitching is the icing on the cake!

Don't work too hard though babe, look after yourself!

Cindy said...

Super! I love the hand stitching!

Elaine said...

Pretty pouch indeed!

Marcia R said...

I'm sorry you're having back issues. Hopefully you'll be all healed very soon. The pouch is going to be lovely - I love the addition of the perle handstitching.

Anonymous said...

The hand stitching is beautiful, such great colors.